Monday, February 16, 2009

Feb. 2, 2009

Today was a pretty simple day...I woke up around 7:45, got ready, and headed to scuola. Everyone was pretty ansy in class the whole time but the second half of class after the pausa two student teachers that had been obersving the class/teacher for a few days made presentations. The first, Diana from Brazil, made a presentation about Carnevale. She spoke Italian very well and I thought she did a good job. She was pretty lively and I found myself voluntering often. We talked about how Carnivale is in Venezia and Viareggio and the different masquere and what they meant. We then played hangman, haha. It was baically the americans vs. the chileans/arabs, it was funny. I like my class. Then the second student teacher, Katia from Russia, took her turn. The first thing she said when she got up there was that she was very different from Diana and was cold and serious because she was Russian. Haha she was not kidding, but I still liked her. With her we did an exercise to practice the imperativo. She handed out a worksheet that was a series of comic strips for Spiderman! L'umono ragno! We had to go through and fill in the blanks with the appropriate impertivo verbi. It was pretty helpful.

After they were done with their stunts the girls left and Sami asked why Katia did not smile and then it turned into a whole critiquing sesh...I felt kind of bad because I thought they both did a good job but our teacher almost was fueling the fire for negative comments, I felt uncomfortable kind of. Like, Roxy made a comment how she thought that Katia's exercise was helpful and she liked it, and our teacher agreed but then went on to say something along the lines of "BUT she was more so talking at you guys, blah blah blah" like saying she was typically Soviet ya know? Our teacher isn't bad or anything but I didn't think all of it was necessary and when the girls were taking their turns teaching I felt our teacher was trying to step in a little too much. They need their experience and nothing was substantially wrong about what they were doing, she could have critiqued them later and let them teach solo while they had their chance. Anyways! Class was funny as always with Saleh the arab who doesn't know a ton of Italian but cracks us UP. We were on the topic of le vacanze and Silvia (teacher) was asking us when the last time we took one was and where we went/want to go, etc. and here comes Saleh's turn and he says basically Texas because it is "molto caldo" and he can have "sec on the beach"...obviously that evoked laughter right there, then we all try to clear up the situation and he starts saying "the juice the juice" blah blah it was just hilarious. His voice resembles that of Apoo from the Simpson's if that helps you envision it any better...It's kind of bad though because he has been to the bar and has had "medicine" as he calls us, booze, and it is definietly sacreligious to do that and completely illegal in Saudia Arabia....oh well. In class today we were talking about the weather and all that fun stuff and during this she asked what the weather was like outside and we looked outside and it was snowing a little!!! Nevia ;) Giovanni my favorite Chilean was at the window busting it open....most of the people in my class had never seen snow before, obviously all the Americani just sat in their seats. It was a very light flurry and dissolved before it hit the ground but it was still perfect timing. Then later there was sun and it was beautiful out.

Tonight Abbey, Caitie, and I went to the Fortress again :) We go everyday at 6pm now...I love it. I have so much energy when we leave and just feel better....endorphins. I love running up there though at that time because there are lights and sometimes the Carabinieri walk around and patrol but it's peaceful and there are always a bunch of other people up there walking and running and biking. Yesterday when I was there I saw some guy on what looked like skis with like, roller blade wheels and poles and he was going around and around, I have never seen anything like that before. Like Cross Country skiing for the pavement? Who knows. Caitie and I were done with our workouts and were waiting for Abbey to finish her last lap and we were comparing exercises we used to have to do volleyball and field hockey conditioning. Turns out a lot of them were the same. Caitie was imitating this huge skipping we both used to have to do and some guy was walking into the Fortress and laughed at us and came over and talked to us. He was speaking to me basically the whole time because I was speaking to him in Italian, which I was happy about because I am doing better with that. I definitely help up my end of the convo and it was nice to practice, especially when it is impromptu. Then it just got a little creepy so Abbey came and I told him off, with a nice Buona Sera don't worry, and then we were off. SOOO you gotta be careful, we were fine, but I am using my Italian! ahaha.

Then we came home and were famished as usual so off to the kitchen. I made a big salad tonight with lettuce and carrots and I made some chicken breast to put in the salad, I found this seasoning here that I really, really like, I wonder if we have it at home. Either way that was delicous and I enjoy cooking for myself. I still have to try to make stirfry, maybe this weekend. If you guys have any sugesstions feel free to lemme know ;) Chiara was making dinner at the same time so we sat and ate dinner for a bit together and talked to her. She was asking us about the differences between the universities here and back in the USA. She was dumbfounded when we told her how much it costs per year. We asked her first and she told us about 1200 euro a year and then she heard our answer and all she could say was "Wow"...obviously that is all we could say too. So at least we talked to her for a while, usually we never see her but now that we are going to the fortress and making dinner later our paths usually cross.

So tragic times have hit and for the past 2 days we have not been able to connect to the internet that we have been using in our apartment for the past week. It's quite sad, it was such a tease to have it!! We don't know if it will come back but of course we keep checking. The internet factor seriously just completed our apartment. I would never want to trade living here it is awesome; location, view, landlord, the feel of a real apartment not a dorm, but the internet is the only thing lacking. Everywhere around here they barely have internet which is crazy b/c there are so many students. Oh well. So we will see if that picks up again, I know we are all crossing our fingers. At the end of March we are all going to Barcelona for three nights!!! I am so excited about that...I hope my Spanish comes back to me!! I took it for 6 years you would hope some of it would....I need Shannon by my side!!!! <3>

1 comment:

  1. ay caramba. quiero ir contigo! y te necesito al lado de mi tambien

    that probably makes no sense but i wish i could be by your side! happy travels!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete